Are you tired of being known as the "firstname.lastname@example.org" at work? You should be. It's no way to slay. It's time to step up your email game and create a professional email address that showcases your expertise and professionalism.
Think of it as putting on a suit and tie for your digital persona. A professional email address is the first impression you make on potential clients, colleagues, and bosses, so why not make it memorable? In this blog post, we'll show you how to upgrade from a casual email address to a polished, put-together, slaying email address that will make you stand out in a crowded inbox. Get ready to say goodbye to the days of being overlooked and hello to a brand-new, professional you.
Why Do I Need To Create A Professional Email?
In today's digital world, your professional email address is often the first thing people see when they want to connect with you. It's your virtual handshake, and creating a professional email address can be the difference between making a great first impression and falling flat. A professional email address also makes it easier for others to take you seriously and opens up opportunities for collaboration and networking. It's a small investment in your personal brand that can pay off big in the long run.
- Boosts your personal brand. A professional email address can elevate your personal brand and make you stand out in a crowded inbox.
- Increases credibility. A professional email address can increase your credibility and make it easier for others to take you seriously, opening up opportunities for collaboration and networking.
- Helps you stay organized. With a professional email address, you can keep your personal and professional communications separate, making it easier to stay organized and on top of your game.
- Improves communication. A professional email address can help you communicate more effectively with clients, colleagues, and partners, making it easier to get things done.
- Sets you apart from the competition. With so many people using free email providers, creating a professional email address can set you apart from the competition and give you an edge in a crowded digital world.
Common Mistakes When Creating An Email Address
Unfortunately, many people make mistakes when creating their professional email addresses that can negatively impact their personal brand. Using unprofessional usernames (such as "email@example.com"), incorporating numbers or symbols that are difficult to remember, or using a free email provider that looks unprofessional (such as @hotmail.com or @yahoo.com) are just some of the common mistakes. If you avoid these common mistakes and create a professional email address, you'll be well on your way to making a great first impression.
- Ignoring the domain. Using a personal email address (e.g., gmail.com, yahoo.com) instead of a custom domain (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org) is a common mistake that can damage your personal brand and credibility.
Image taken from a Strikingly user’s website
- Going too casual. A professional email address should reflect your brand and professionalism. Avoid using overly casual or humorous email addresses.
- Being too long or complicated. Keep your email address simple, short, and easy to remember. The longer and more complicated your email address is, the less likely it will be memorable.
- Using numbers or special characters. Try to shy away from using numbers or special characters in your email address because they can be easily forgotten or misinterpreted.
- Not double-checking the availability. Before settling on an email address, make sure it's available, and there are no typos or misspellings. The last thing you want is for someone else to use your dream email address!
Ready to turn your virtual handshake into a firm grip? Let's start creating a professional email address that will make you stand out in a crowded inbox and leave a lasting impression on everyone who receives an email from you. Whether you're a seasoned professional looking to upgrade your digital persona or just starting out in your career, this guide will give you the tools you need to make a great first impression and put your best virtual foot forward.
Put on your virtual suit and tie, and let's get started!
Choosing The Best Professional Email Service Provider
There are many email providers, but Gmail, Outlook, and Yahoo are heavyweights. These three have dominated the email world for years, and they all have pros and cons.
Comparing email providers is like comparing apples to oranges to pineapples. Each one has its own unique taste and qualities that set it apart from the others. Gmail is known for its intuitive interface and integration with Google's suite of tools, Outlook offers a sleek and professional look, and Yahoo is a classic choice with a long history in the email world.
And now, it's time to compare the top players in the email game. Let's take a closer look at the pros and cons of the most popular professional email providers.
Gmail: Intuitive Interface and Integration with GSuite
First up, we have Gmail - the cool kid on the block. With its user-friendly interface and integration with Google's suite of tools, it's no wonder why so many people have jumped on the Gmail bandwagon. Plus, its spam filtering is top-notch, so you can say goodbye to pesky spam emails.
Outlook: Sleek and Professional
Next, we have Outlook - the sophisticated one in the group. It boasts a clean and professional look, packed with features like a calendar, task manager, and more. It's perfect for those who need to keep their work and personal life organized.
Yahoo: A Classic Choice
And last but not least, we have Yahoo - the veteran of the email world. Yahoo has been around for what feels like forever and has a strong reputation for security. It may not have all the bells and whistles of its competitors, but it's a solid choice for those who value stability and security.
Which one will it be? Gmail for its hip vibe, Outlook for its organizational prowess, or Yahoo for its security expertise? The choice is yours, but one thing is for sure, each of these email providers has its own unique flavor and can bring something special to the table.
Factors To Consider When Choosing Your Professional Email Provider
When choosing a professional email provider, there are many factors to consider. Here are five key items to keep in mind:
- Security. This one's a no-brainer. You want to make sure your emails and personal information are safe from prying eyes. Look for providers that use encryption, two-factor authentication and regularly update their security measures.
- Storage. How much storage do you need for all those cat videos and work documents? Make sure the provider you choose offers enough storage to keep your inbox from getting cluttered.
- User-friendliness. You don't want to spend hours trying to figure out how to send an email, do you? Look for providers with intuitive interfaces and user-friendly features.
- Integration with other tools. If you use a lot of other tools for work or personal use, it's crucial to choose a provider that integrates well with those tools. This will save you time and make your life a lot easier.
- Customer support. Let's face it. Things can go wrong with technology. When they do, you want to ensure access to good customer support. Look for providers that offer 24/7 support, live chat, and helpful resources.
Image taken from a Strikingly user’s website
When choosing a professional email provider, consider these five key factors to ensure you find the one that's right for you. Whether you're after security, storage, user-friendliness, integration, or customer support, make sure you clearly understand your needs before making a decision.
How To Create A Professional Email Address
Let's dive into the three critical elements of creating a professional email address. It's about time.
A. Guidelines for selecting a username
Your email username is the first impression people will have of you, so choose wisely. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Keep it simple and easy to remember. No one wants to struggle to recall your email address.
- Use your real name, or a variation of it, if possible. It makes you easily recognizable and helps build your personal brand.
- Avoid using numbers and special characters. They can make your email address harder to remember and harder to type.
Here's a few professional email address examples:
- If your name is Mindy Smith, you can use "email@example.com" or "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- If your name is William Lorre, you can use "email@example.com" or "firstname.lastname@example.org"
B. Tips For Creating A Strong Password
The first thing you need to do after you create a professional email is set up a secure password. Your password is the key to unlocking your email account, and you need to choose one that's solid. Here are a few tips to help you create a strong password:
- Use a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Make it at least eight characters long. The longer, the better!
- Avoid using easily guessable information like your name, birth date, or 123456.
C. Setting Up Your Email Signature
Your email signature is like a digital business card. It tells people who you are and what you do. Here are a few tips for setting up a professional email signature:
- Keep it short and sweet. No one wants to read a novel when they open an email.
- Include your name, job title, and contact information.
- Add a professional headshot to personalize your emails and make a lasting impression.
Creating a professional email address requires careful consideration of your username, password, and email signature. These guidelines should help you be well on your way to creating an email address that makes you look and feel like a pro.
How To Make A Professional Email Address With Strikingly
Image taken from Strikingly
It is straightforward to create a professional email address using Strikingly, and it can be done in a few simple steps. Here's how:
1. Sign up for a Strikingly account. To create a professional email address using Strikingly, you'll first need to sign up for an account. Go to our website and click "Sign Up" to start.
2. Choose a domain name. Once you've signed up for an account, you can choose your own domain name. This part of your email address comes after the "@" symbol. Make sure to choose a domain name that is professional and memorable.
Image taken from Strikingly
3. Set up your email. Once you've chosen your domain name, you can now create a professional email. To do this, go to your Strikingly dashboard and click on the "Emails" tab. Follow the steps to set up your email account, including choosing a username and password.
4. Customize your email signature. Your email signature is an integral part of your professional email address. To customize your signature in Strikingly, log in to your email, go to Settings, and select "Identities." You can add your name, job title, and contact information. You can also add a professional headshot to personalize your emails.
5. Start using your professional email. Once you've completed all the steps to create a professional email, you can start using your professional email address! Log in to your email account and start sending and receiving emails.
See? Creating a professional email address using Strikingly is a quick and easy process. Why don't you sign up today and create a professional email with us?
Maintaining A Professional Image In Your Email
The world of professional emails is a tricky place to navigate, but with little guidance, you can easily maintain a professional image in your emails. Let's dive into the three critical elements of maintaining a professional image in your emails.
A. Best Practices For Email Content And Tone
The way you communicate in your emails can make or break your professional image. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Keep it concise and to the point. No one has time to read a novel in their inbox.
- Avoid using slang, emojis, or overly casual language. Stick to a professional tone. You can be casual, but not too casual.
- Proofread before hitting send. Typos and grammatical errors can make you look unprofessional.
- Personalize your emails when appropriate. Adding a personal touch can make your emails stand out, but be careful not to get too casual.
- Use proper salutations and closings. "Hey" may work with your friends, but "Dear" and "Best regards" are safer bet in a professional setting.
- Consider your email subject carefully. A well-crafted subject line can entice your recipient to open your email, while a vague or unappealing subject can get your email lost in the clutter.
- Be mindful of your tone. Emails are notorious for having their tone misinterpreted, so make sure you're communicating in a way that won't be misconstrued.
- Use bullet points or numbered lists to break up large chunks of text. It's much easier on the eyes, and your recipient is less likely to tune out.
B. Handling Email Overload and Staying Organized
Email overload is a real issue, but there are ways to stay on top of it. Here are a few tips to help you manage your inbox:
- Use the "delete" button liberally. Feel free to get rid of emails you no longer need.
- Make use of folders and labels to keep your inbox organized. It will be easier to find emails if you need to backtrack.
- Take advantage of tools. Most email services offer different tools like email filters and rules to automate sorting and organizing your emails.
C. Set Up Filters and Rules To Manage Your Inbox
Filters and rules can help you stay on top of your inbox and maintain a professional image. Here are a few tips for setting up filters and rules after you create a professional email:
- Use filters to sort your emails into folders based on specific criteria automatically.
- Set up rules to automatically flag, forward, or delete emails based on specific criteria.
- Take the time to review your filters and rules regularly to make sure they're still working for you.
Maintaining a professional image in your emails requires careful consideration of your email content and tone, organization, and use of tools like filters and rules. Being professional isn't just a requirement offline. It's also A MUST when online.
Ready to slay professionally? Create your own professional email address today with Strikingly. It's super easy--we promise!