When we talk about customers/consumers, we are not just referring to a single individual. Customers are mainly a large group of individuals with different characteristics from one another. They come in different ages, gender, type of work, address, nationality and even relationship status (‘cause not everyone is definitely taken). These people seek for their needs depending on what they specifically want. They spend their money not just to buy the things that they want, but most specially satisfy their being. If you are someone who plans on engaging in the field of business, mastering what is customer segmentation is one best step for you in bringing home that bacon.
What is Customer Segmentation?
Customer segmentation can be defined as a step wherein the target market is being split into groups based on the common characteristics and needs they possess. In short words, classifications of customers. Just think of it as what goes on when you wash your clothes. Before you actually wash them, the first thing you usually do is to sort them based on their colors and sometimes even the type of cloth they possess. After sorting, that would be the time you will be washing them with the appropriate detergent and bleach you will be using.
Same goes for customer segmentation. Before you engage in making a final marketing plan, you need to conduct thorough customer segmentation analysis. It is a must to know each customer segment present in your target market for you to be able to provide them the things that they seek and actually need. Knowing these types of customer segmentation will not only make it easy for you to create a structured marketing plan, but also give you the power to build stronger relationships between you and your customers. After all, who wouldn’t want to leave someone who does not know how to fulfill your needs right?
Mastering the art of customer segmentation may be too tricky and confusing for you especially if you are someone who is just starting in this type of field. If you want to be “that master”, Strikingly will definitely make understanding customer segmentation much easier for you.
Image taken from MAN
Why is Customer Segmentation a Must-Have?
Some of you might still have that question mark on their minds regarding the importance of customer segmentation. We listed below the top reasons why you should start admiring the beauty of having a well-structured customer segmentation analysis on your marketing plan.
Image taken from Hayashida Rice
- Creates deeper bonds between two parties. Customers serve as the “boss” we are trying to impress with our chosen marketing strategy. Having the ability to know every single detail regarding customer segmentation will help us understand our target customers on a deeper level of perspective and gain their trust. Choosing the appropriate customer segmentation models will also enable us to make our customer segments understand the message we are trying to imply.
- Accurate campaign programs and advertisements. Customer segmentation plays a major role on how we create our marketing strategy accurately. Being able to know what these customer segments really want will not just enable us to create well-designed advertisements but also get that “YES!” from our customers.
- Builds a more reliable customer service. Good marketing strategy comes with good customer service. And for that to be possible, we must know deeply about correct customer segmentation. Knowing the process of choosing the appropriate customer segmentation models will enable us to provide our chosen customer segments the best care that they have been secretly wanting all this time. Who wouldn’t want to be taken care of anyway right?
- Strengthens customer loyalty. Loyalty isn’t just for couples or any relationships. It does exist in the world of business too. Customer segmentation is not just a process one business does in order to create a marketing plan. It’s a must-have step which they should give importance to be able to “court” their customers well. If they really seek to capture the hearts of their target customers, they must know how to work hard for that first. And when it comes to the proper ways of “courting” your target market, Strikingly has additional guaranteed tips for you in just one click.
- Identify how to keep the most active and important customers. Besides loyalty, consistency also makes a relationship stronger. Businesses do not only seek customers but also for them to stay with them for a long period of time. Proper customer segmentation can make that possible. There are a number of customer segments examples which businesses should start considering when it comes to capturing the hearts of their target markets and being able to make that last long. Just keep doing that getting-to-know stage towards your chosen customer segments and the consistency of their loyalty will surely follow.
- Provide different modes and platforms of communication based on the type of customer segments. Platforms are also one of the best ways in connecting with the customers. If businesses are able to master correct customer segmentation, it will be easier for them to provide the best mode of platforms they will use in order to meet the needs of their consumers. Through proper customer segmentation, they will not be having a hard time in developing different agendas in conveying their message as well as achieving their goals.
- Learn and Achieve a new set of opportunities. Marketing does not end with being able to create a bond towards your chosen customer segment. As a firm, you must know how to discover new opportunities for your business to keep growing. Customer segmentation does not only help in identifying what your consumers want and being able to meet them. It also seeks to help the business improve and grow as time goes by. It seeks to find a new set of opportunities not just for the business itself, but for every single individual involved. Through this, you are not just working to earn a large amount of revenues, but most importantly help yourself improve as a businessperson.
There are tons of reasons why you should get yourself involved in the field of mastering customer segmentation. The ones listed above are just a few of them. If you happen to be seeking for other reasons to make yourself at ease in this matter, Strikingly surely does the whole work of convincing in an instant.
Image taken from Bahia Blanca
The Five Most Common Types of Customer Segmentation Models
Customer segmentation comes in a lot of shapes. You may not know it and find it surprising since gender and age may just be the most commonly mentioned ones. You need nothing to worry about because Strikingly made all the introductions easier for you.
Image taken from SWISH
Listed below are the most common types of customer segmentation as well as customer segmentation models which firms could definitely use for their next game plan.
- Demographic Customer Segmentation
This type of customer segmentation is the one most commonly used and known by different firms. It usually deals with the customer’s age, gender, level of education, civil status, and even nationality. Companies usually use this type of customer segmentation in order to give appropriate contents as well as develop correct questionnaires for their customers.
- Psychographic Customer Segmentation
Psychographic customer segmentation is the type of customer segmentation where the main focus is on the personality of the target customer. It involves knowing the customer segments’ attitude, values, hobbies, likes and dislikes as well as their main set of interests. This type is commonly used by firms to directly attack the hearts of their customers. It is a pure embodiment of how to “court” your object of affection properly. And if you happen to be seeking for the proper ways of capturing a customer’s affection, Strikingly is undeniably one pro and definitely excels in that field.
- Geographic Customer Segmentation
This type of customer segmentation mainly focuses on the consumers’ geographic status. It deals with information like their current location, state, city, town or country. Companies commonly use this to know how to adapt to their customer’s needs and wants considering the place they are currently in.
- Behavioral Customer Segmentation
This type of customer segmentation primarily deals with the actions done by the consumers. It involves careful evaluation of the customer’s tendencies, buying behavior, the features they commonly seek in a product/service and the other habits they usually do in purchasing. This type can also be defined as one of those “heart-capturing” methods which companies use in seeking customer participation.
- Technographic Customer Segmentation
From the word itself, Technographic, this type deals with the use of modern technology. It makes use of segmenting the target customers based on the type of devices they have and how they make use of them in engaging in the business’ platforms. May it be use of mobile phones, desktop, different applications or soft wares, these are primarily used by companies to build and maintain a wide coverage of communication between them and their chosen customer segments.
How to Do Customer Segmentation Well
There are varied ways of how someone can do proper customer segmentation well. Among these strategies are the following:
- Know the exact customer segmentation goal you are trying to achieve.
- Choose your desired types of customer segmentation after thorough analysis.
- Examine each detail about your chosen customer segments and provide alterations/adjustments/back-up plans when needed.
These strategies are just among the few ways one can look into in order to perform correct customer segmentation. But if you want to advance yourself and set things to a higher standard, Strikingly can help build these standards for you.
Strikingly is a one-click away platform where a strategic and undeniably fun way of marketing awaits for you. It made customer segmentation much easier with its audience list feature. This feature enables users to have easy access between their browser tabs. You heard it right! No more flipping back and forth on your tabs (which annoys most of us, of course). With this, viewing site audiences as well as its analytics information has never been easy. This game-changer is set to roll soon as a part of the editor’s main menu. With this new main feature, customer segmentation will surely be nothing but a piece of cake for anyone who seeks the best for their next marketing plan.
To know more about this new weapon, feel free to visit here.